Paying for CDL training can be very expensive, and not everybody can chunk out thousands of dollars to pursue a career as a commercial driver. But notwithstanding there are various grants for CDL students that can help you subsidize the fees.
If you are considering embarking on a career in commercial driving these are the 10 best grants for CDL students in 2023 and how you can easily apply for them.
Before applying for these grants make sure you have the following requirements.
Basic Requirements For CDL Training
To obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL) in the United States, you must meet the following requirements:
Age: You must be at least 18 years old to obtain a CDL and drive within your state, and 21 years old to drive across state lines.
Physical fitness: You must pass a physical exam and meet the medical requirements set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). This includes being able to pass a vision test, hearing test, and having a blood pressure below a certain level.
Education: You must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
Driving experience: You must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
Knowledge: You must pass a written test to demonstrate your knowledge of traffic laws and safe driving practices.
Skills: You must pass a driving test to demonstrate your ability to safely operate a commercial vehicle.
Best Grants for CDL Students in 2023
- The College Lake County Grant
- The Commercial Trucking Association (CTA) Grant
- The Truckload Carriers Association (TCA) Grant
- WIOA Grants for CDL Training
- The National Trucking Financial Corp (NTFC)
- The Women in Trucking Association (WIT) Grant
- The American Trucking Association (ATA) Grant
- The National Trucking Association (NTA) Grant
- The Trucking Industry Defense Fund (TIDF) Grant
1. College Lake County Grant
To qualify for this full grant you must meet the following requirements.
- 21 years of age or older
A resident of Lake County, Illinois
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Valid Illinois Driver’s License, Class D or above
- No physical limitations that affect driving ability
- Adequate command of the English language to complete written and demonstration.
2. The Commercial Trucking Association (CTA) Grant
The CTA grant is another top grant for CDL students, it provides financial assistance for tuition, books, and other expenses associated with your CDL training program.
This grant is only available for permanent residents in the United States.
3. The Truckload Carriers Association (TCA) Grant
This is a lightweight grant that provides assistance to students to improve their lives while studying.
Grants provided here can be used for books, uniforms,s and other light expenses related to your studies.
4. WIOA Grants for CDL Training
The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act provides funding for adult education and training programs, including those that help people get their commercial driver’s licenses.
Before being approved for this program you must demonstrate financial need and meet other eligibility criteria.
You must also be registered for a CDL training program and have completed part of your program. The amount provided varies based on the type, of course, you are enrolled for.
5. The National Trucking Financial Corp (NTFC)
Organizers of this grant help students pursue their dreams of getting formal CDL education, they provide financial assistance to students who are registered in an approved CDL training program provided they meet their requirements.
6. The Women in Trucking Association (WIT) Grant
The WIT grant is a grant solely for women who are enrolled in any qualified institution.
Tuition costs for students are taken care of as well as expenses for books, fees, and other educational expenses.
7. The American Trucking Association (ATA) Grant
The ATA Foundation is another top grant for CDL students in the United States.
In addition to your tuition fees and expenses for books, money for transportation to get you to class is also provided.
8. The National Trucking Association (NTA) Grant
This grant is specifically for students interested in pursuing a career as a professional truck driver.
For you to be qualified for this grant you must be enrolled in a vocational program or have completed at least a year of vocational training.
9. The Trucking Industry Defense Fund (TIDF) Grant
The TIDF grant is another huge grant available for students planning on embarking on a career as a professional truck driver. The TIDF provides up to $4000 per year.
Interested applicants must be at least 18 years of age and have no criminal history.
CDL training can be very expensive to pursue, it can amount to thousands of dollars but with the above-mentioned grants for CDL training, you can achieve your dreams of becoming a commercial driver easily without spending much.