The government of the United States under the ministry of education usually provides about $112 billion annually for grants and financial aid for students to be able to pay for college. These grants have been of help to indigenous students of America, most students aren’t aware that you can also be eligible for grants when studying in some online colleges. In this article, we would be listing some of the best online colleges with grants.
Grants can come to inform of need-based or Non-need based and can be sponsored by either the federal government, state government, your institution of study, or even private organizations.
Grants are perfect ways to fund your college education without thinking of your finances.
Finding the best online colleges with grants can be very tasking and might yield no fruit if you keep on searching the wrong path. Before we list out the best online colleges with grants let’s bring you up to speed on how to find grants for online colleges.
How to Find Grants in Online Colleges
There are many ways to search for grants in online colleges and they include:
1. College Grants in High School
Students in High schools can explore online college grants that may be made available to them through their High school, affiliated institutions, NGOs, or government agencies. This will require you to apply for these online college grants when it is brought to your knowledge by your high school.
Chegg is a database of scholarships, grants, and Competitions for both High schools and Colleges. There are over 25,000 available scholarships and grants on the site and students can easily find them by using certain filters on the user-friendly website.
Another platform where you can find Grants and scholarships for your study in online colleges is scholarships.com.
When you get to the site, choose the filters for the kind of grants or scholarships you want and the site will provide you with a list of scholarships related to your search.
4. College Board
On this platform, you can find so many online college grants and scholarships. In addition to these grants and scholarships, you can also find useful resources and materials for your education. Individuals can do a lot on the site like:
- Scholarship Search
- BigFuture Scholarships
- Scholarships, Grants, and Loans
- Financial Aid Awards.
This is a free and reputable scholarship platform where students can find vast grants, scholarships, and other financial aid. The site also offers internships, student news, student discounts, etc.
6. Guidance, Counsellors, and Teachers
Another great way to find grant opportunities is from your teachers and counselors at school. If you can gain access to your school’s faculty members and tell them what your intentions are, then they may offer you valuable information that can help you find a grant to fund your online college program.
7. Ask Your Online College Directly
If you already have an online college in mind that you wish to study in, it may be a great idea to ask them about their grant policies.
Some online colleges offer their own grants and other financial aid as well to their students. Reach out to the financial aid department of the college and ask questions.
10 Best Online Colleges with Grants
Below is a list of the best online colleges with grants:
1. University of California-Irvine
The University of California-Irvine is top of the list of 10 best online colleges with grants, over 56% of students studying online courses at this university don’t pay tuition, and more than 72% of its students are recipients of various types of grants and scholarships.
The University of California-Irvine makes use of ScholarshipUniverse to offer students safe opportunities that match their denials.
Below are the steps to apply:
- Login into the student’s portal
- Set up your profile
- Create your dashboard
- From your Dashboard, you’ll be able to view all available scholarships/grants that are a good match for you.
- Apply for scholarships/grants.
2. University of Mississippi
The University of Mississippi is another school that provides numerous kinds of grants for its students.
You can choose from a wide range of options made available depending on your course of study.
Undergraduate Students at the University of Mississippi have a variety of grants they can apply for.
These grants include:
- Federal Pell Grant
- Mississippi Eminent Scholars Grant (MESG)
- Complete 2 Compete Tuition Assistance Grant (C2C)
- Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grants (TEACH)
- Higher Education Legislative Plan For Needy Students (HELP)
- Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG)
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
- Mississippi Tuition Assistance Grant (MTAG)
- Nissan Scholarship (NISS)
- Mississippi Law Enforcement Officers & Firemen Scholarship (LAW).
3. University of Michigan-Ann Arb or
Another top school on our list of best online colleges with grants is the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, grants here are awarded based on financial need. However, there are also some scholarships and grants which students can earn if they meet certain eligibility criteria or fit into the purpose of the grant.
The office of financial aid at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor is responsible for administering grants to students. On your admission into the university, you’ll be considered for any available grant. Students who wish to be considered for need-based grants are expected to have submitted an application for FAFSA and CSS profile.
4. University of Texas-Austin
The University of Texas is another that provides its students with grant offers although it is only for in-state students.
Students who wish to apply for grants must submit their FAFSA annually to be included.
Students of its online colleges aren’t left out, UT also provides its online colleges with grants which in-state students can also take advantage of.
Other grants available at the university include; Federal government-sponsored grants and state-sponsored grants which students with financial needs can apply for.
5. San Jose State University
Grants at the San Jose university are sponsored by the state government and it is designed to help students of the California state university pay for tuition.
The State University Grant (SUG) program at San Jose State University is not open to students who applied for special sessions or have received similar financial aid. Students who wish to be considered must meet laid-out criteria and follow the necessary guidelines.
6. Florida State University
Consideration for grants at Florida State University is strictly for students who have completed their FAFSA application.
Admitted students at Florida State University can enjoy other financial assistance from the university’s participation in Federal, state, and FSU institutional grants.
7. Tufts University
Undergraduates at Tufts university gain their largest grants from the institution’s own grant. You could receive grants from the institution which range from $1,000 to $75,000 and above. Other sources of grants for college students at Tufts include federal, state, and private grants.
8. SUNY Binghamton
Undergraduates at the State University of New York can earn grants by applying for and submitting the FAFSA.
Eligible Students usually receive additional financial assistance apart from the grant.
To be eligible, you must ensure that you meet the federal and/or New York state Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements. If you don’t meet the SAP requirements, you can also seek an appeal.
9. Cornell College
Student Grants at Cornell College come from various sources like Alumni donations, endowments, gifts, and general funds as well. There’s however, no maximum or minimum amount for the grants students receive. The institution uses a case-by-case basis to determine students who will receive these need-based grants. To stand a chance for consideration, you’ll have to apply for financial aid at the college.
Cornell college also provides its online colleges with grants.
10. Loyola Marymount
The last institution on the list of best online colleges with grants, Funding your education at Loyola Marymount can become much easier for you through the LMU grant and other state and federal government grants in which the school participates. Additionally, students also receive some commercial and private grants.
To be considered for these grants, you are expected to apply for them separately and also apply for the FAFSA as well.
Also Read: Top online statistics course 2023
Other Financial Assistance Available to Online College Students
Apart from grants and scholarships, there are also other financial assistance online college students can take opportunity off and finance their education, they are;
1. Financial Aid
The tuition fee on some online colleges’ websites may seem so outrageous to you, and you’re wondering how people are able to afford it.
The truth is that most students don’t pay the exact tuition fee that is published on the website. Such online colleges usually offer eligible students financial aid. This financial aid cover part or all of the financial expenses of these students.
Some types of financial aid include:
- Federal government Financial Aid.
- State-sponsored Financial Aid
- Student loans
2. Student Work-Study Programs
Work-Study Programs are usually college job opportunities that assist students to pay for their studies. These jobs could be online or offline depending on your employer and are usually related to what you study.
3. Student Loans
The federal loan program of the Department of Education is another financial assistance you can leverage.
With these loans, you can pay for your education and repay at a lower interest rate.
Other financial aids include:
- Special Aid for Military Families/Members.
- International Students’ Special Assistance
- Families and Students Tax Benefits.
What Is The Best Way To Get Free Money For College?
There are many ways to get free money for college. Here are some of the best options:
- Federal Pell Grants: The Pell Grant is a need-based grant that is awarded to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. The amount of the Pell Grant you receive will depend on your family’s income and your cost of attendance.
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG): The FSEOG is a need-based grant that is awarded to undergraduate students with the lowest expected family contribution. The amount of the FSEOG you receive will depend on the availability of funds and your financial need.
- State Grants: Many states offer grants to help their residents pay for college. The amount of the grant you receive will depend on your state of residence and your financial need.
- College Grants: Many colleges and universities offer their own grants to students. These grants may be need-based or merit-based.
- Scholarships: Scholarships are awarded to students based on their academic achievement, athletic ability, artistic talent, or other criteria. There are many scholarships available, so it’s important to do your research and apply for as many as you qualify for.
- Work-study: Work-study is a program that allows students to work part-time while they are in school. The money you earn from work-study can be used to help pay for tuition, fees, and other expenses.The best way to get free money for college is to apply for as many grants and scholarships as you qualify for. You should also start the application process early, as many deadlines are in the fall.
Online colleges offer a variety of financial aid options, including grants, scholarships, and fellowships. These can help students offset the cost of tuition and other expenses.
To be eligible for grants, students typically need to demonstrate financial need. However, there are also merit-based grants available, which are awarded based on academic achievement or other criteria.